February 1, 2015

Surrender by Violetta Rand

3 out of 5 Stars

Robyn’s life was never a fairy tale, but things took a turn for the worse when she was kicked out of her house days before her fifteen birthday. From then she has been fighting to survive, continue on with her education and make a life for herself. After years of barely getting by she begins stripping at The Den. She hates her job, but she hates starving and being homeless more. This job allows her to go to school full-time, avoid homeless and starvation.


One night everything changes for Robyn. She interrupts a potential crime and is chased by the criminal right into the arms of Garrick. Garrick is a great guy and has everything going for him, he is wealthy, educated and attractive…this list goes on. The best part is he is interested in Robyn. Garrick saves Robyn and they spend a little bit of time getting to know each other before they part.

Thinking she will never see Garrick again Robyn goes about her day to day life, until one night he shows up at The Den. Garrick shows up at the strip club for research purposes since he will begin working there in a few weeks. From here the two begin a relationship and it gets pretty messy. Despite their feelings and attraction it seems there is always something there preventing them from just being together.


In my opinion this story was pretty unbelievable. Now I am a reader and I never expect my stories to be too believable, I am reading fiction after all. However, I had difficulty buying into the fact that a MIT graduate who was an engineer for BP is now doing security at a strip club. I get that he wants to stay home, but it seems to me someone with his education and resources could find a different job. There were other parts of the story that didn’t necessarily seem believable, but I don’t want to spoil the book or rant.

In the end, this book plenty of steamy moments and I did really like Garrick. I felt like he had the best of intentions and wanted to fix/care for Robyn.


ARC kindly provided by publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

No comments

Post a Comment