April 24, 2015

Review - Meet Me in the Dark by J.A. Huss





Meet Me In The Dark (A Dark Suspense) by JA Huss
Publication Date: April 15, 2015
Contemporary Romantic Suspense

He’s empty, inhuman, dishonest, and cruel.
She’s never wanted anyone more.

Sydney has lived in fear for eight years after freelance assassin, Merc, failed to rescue her from a cult-like militia group. Left in the hands of a sadistic man, she did whatever it took to survive. But Merc’s last words gave her hope. Hope he’d be back to finish the job.

After Merc is betrayed by her father, Sydney becomes his target. He wields sex, drugs, lies, and love like weapons. Merc knows just what to do with a fearful girl like Sydney. He’s in control. He’s always in control. 

But Sydney Channing is not what she appears. And Merc’s only redeeming act—the very one that made Sydney’s life a living hell—might just be his worst mistake yet. 

WARNING: Meet Me In The Dark is a STANDALONE, non-traditional, DARK ,CAPTIVE ROMANTIC SUSPENSE. It is not intended for sensitive readers.

MEET ME IN THE DARK IS A STANDALONE, romantic suspense novel ON SALE NOW:


BOOK TRAILER:

GIVEAWAY:

a Rafflecopter giveaway



EXCERPT
She whimpers and that little noise makes me even harder. 
“You’re pretty. Garrett never told you that?”
She shakes her head.
“Well, he’s a dick. Your face is like an angel’s. And your hair, fuck.” I laugh a little and she takes a deep breath. “I’ve pictured you on top of me and that long, dark hair of yours dragging across my chest as you fuck me from the top so many times.”
“No, you didn’t.”
“I swear to God, I did. You’ve got a hot fucking body too.” I place my palm on her ribs again, only this time I let it slide down, tracing the line of her waist and then the curve of her hip. 
My hands go to her jeans and they are unbuttoned before she has a chance to protest. And then I lift her shirt up by the edges of the hem. Slowly. Looking down at her breasts as I do it. When the fabric releases her nipples I feel a little anticipation.
“I’d like to show you my best work, Sydney Channing. And make you forget your first time. Replace that night with this one. Nothing can be taken back. But you can replace the bad stuff with something else.” I shrug. “That’s all I got, sorry.”
She says nothing. So I lift her shirt over her head and drop it on the floor. “Take off your pants.” She bites her lip and I’m about to yank them down her legs at the sight of it. I control myself though and let her do it her way. She wiggles a few times, her hips moving back and forth, and we are so close this makes her rub against me in all the right ways. They finally drop to the floor and I take her hand as she steps out of them.
“You’re more than pretty, Syd. Your body is so much more than hot.” And it is. In this low golden light, with the backdrop of the windows on all sides, she is perfection. “I’ve always known it. I’ve always seen you in a sexual way. I’ve always wanted you.”
She looks like she might cry, so I put my finger to her lips and murmur, “Shhh. Just close your eyes and let yourself feel happy for a little bit. Forget the past. Forget tomorrow. Forget everything except right now.”



JA Huss is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of more than twenty romances. She likes stories about family, loyalty, and extraordinary characters who struggle with basic human emotions while dealing with bigger than life problems. JA loves writing heroes who make you swoon, heroines who makes you jealous, and the perfect Happily Ever After ending.

You can chat with her on Facebook (www.facebook.com/AuthorJAHuss), Twitter (@jahuss), and her kick-ass romance blog, New Adult Addiction (www.newadultaddiction.com).

If you're interested in getting your hands on an advanced release copy of her upcoming books, sneak peek teasers, or information on her upcoming personal appearances, you can join her newsletter list (http://eepurl.com/JVhAr) and get those details delivered right to your inbox.

Author Links:

My Review

When I first read JA Huss I had no idea what to expect. I thought I was getting a hot, steamy romance novel with Tragic. Then as the series continued it kept unfolding into more. I was completely lost, but so intrigued about where things were heading. Now years and multiple books/series later, I am still amazed by the journey she takes us on. 

Fear is not your enemy. Fear keeps you alive. 


Meet Me in the Dark is a stand alone novel about Merric Case and Sydney Channing. The story begins eight years prior. We see the night Merc came to save a sixteen year old Sydney only to leave her behind, with a promise he will return. This decision shaped so many lives for the good and the bad, and left so many things unresolved. 


Sydney has only seen Merc that one time years ago, but she still dreams and thinks about him. She is still waiting for day he will come back. Now that she is an adult and engaged to be married to another man, she thinks she might be safe. So much time as passed and people have moved on, but she knows Merc isn’t the type of man to break his word. 


'I’m a natural, they tell me. I’m a natural killer. It’s all I’ve ever wanted to be. A psychopath. A cold, emotionless, empty shell of a man.'


The night before Sydney’s wedding she decides to run away in order to keep her fiancé and his family safe. She knows it’s just a matter of time. During her escape she is in a car accident and Merc is there to take her. Now this isn’t a happy reunion, Merc wants answers. 


The story really begins to unfold and this where Julie begins to intwine trickery, confusion and mind play. By this point I am a Huss Expert, now I know to look for the unexpected, pay attention to what’s going on, and think ahead. Despite my mad skills I was still blown away, multiple times, and amazed at how things came together in the end. 


“It’s locked up in that place I keep all my secrets. The dark place. Take me there, Merc. Meet me in the dark and I’ll tell you everything you want to know.” 


Merc and Sydney are unique, complex characters. 

He is a ruthless killer, an assassin trained by the military to eliminate threats quietly. He is also just a regular guy from Boston, recruited by Ivy league schools and MIT. He is nothing like you would expect and I loved him for that. He isn’t the type of hero who changes and corrects his ways, he is unapologetic and doesn’t live with regret. He is also so freaking hot you can barely stand it.


Sydney is one of my favorite heroines of all time. She is the exact opposite of what I imagine, she blew me away. When I first started reading I pictured this damaged, broken, weak girl, but she isn’t. She is damaged but whole and finds strength in her weakness. When I thought she was bested she was always one step ahead. 


“Never forget that you are vulnerable- even when you feel invincible.” 

My absolute favorite part of this story, I wasn’t sure what side I was on. Throughout this story you are left in the dark while Sydney and Merc battle it out physically, emotionally and psychologically. I went in with my initial thoughts and feelings, but the more I read the more torn I was. The story is told in alternating POV, which would lead you to believe you will figure things out and know the whole story, nope definitely not that case. 

Meet Me in the Dark is a journey that I highly recommend you take. It is hot, unexpected and intelligently written. The fact that Julie can even come up with this stuff, map it out, and then have it make sense in the end blows my freaking mind. 


ARC kindly provided in exchange for an honest review. 

No comments

Post a Comment