April 29, 2015

Review - Overruled by Emma Chase

My 5 Star Review


Wow, I absolutely loved this read. When I started Overruled I had just told my bestie I was looking for a certain type of book, but couldn’t even describe it. I love Emma Chase and decided to jump in. I am so glad I did. This story was absolute perfection.

The story begins with us meeting a young Stanton and Jenny. They have just learned they are having a child unexpectedly. While they are very in love and plan to spend the rest of their lives together the timing is completely off. Stanton is supposed to leave for Columbia and Jenny has plans to become a nurse. Despite all their obstacles they decide to stick out and try a long distance relationship. As time goes on the distance becomes too much and they decide to have an open relationship.

The story then picks up ten years later. Stanton is working at a high profile law firm in Washington, D.C. His life is right on track, he is happy. Jenny and Stanton are together when comes into town and they raise their daughter together, but they both have relationships outside each other. Stanton never looking for anything serious has been sleeping with his coworker Sophia. This friends with benefits relationship fits their lives perfectly, but how long until it all falls apart.

We all know what happens when we play with matches-but I will not get burned. I’m like…the hand that passes through the flame of the candle without getting burned. I’m fireproof.


Things unravel rather quickly when Stanton learns Jenny is getting married. This isn’t a part of the plan and he is a planner. He is used to getting his way and won’t go down without a fight. With his plan in place to back to Mississippi he only needs one thing: Sophia to accompany him.


Sophia is a smart girl, she the only girl amongst her brothers and she understands what they have. But that doesn’t stop her heart from falling for Stanton. Now he wants her to go help him fight for “his girl.” Torn about what to do, she decides to be his friend first and decides to go help.

Sex with Stanton is exhilarating; working beside him is a privilege. But loving him…that just hurts.


Oh boy, I loved where things went from here. I won’t lie I was a nervous freaking wreck, but from here things really took off. I love the time they spent together and the discoveries made. These two weren’t planning on falling in love, it was just physical, but their respect for each other and their friendship helped things progress into more.


This story is a super quick read and honestly left me wanting more. Not because it is incomplete, but because I was craving more of Emma’s writing style. She writes a flawless love story, with the perfect amount of comedy, sexiness and angst. The characters were developed perfectly, I could feel their emotions.

Because I want him to fight for me. More than anything. For him to want me – not just as a friend or a lover. But as his forever.


If you haven’t read Emma’s writing before you are missing out. Saying I recommend her books and especially this story is a HUGE understatement. I have recommended Overruled to anyone who will listen. I even went and purchased the paperback early. Emma’s writing makes reading fun. She provides comic relief without going overboard. I will read anything she writes and cannot wait for more in the Legal Brief Series.


Overruled is a standalone. The other stories in the series will focus on other characters.

ARC kindly provided in exchange for an honest review. 


No comments

Post a Comment