April 13, 2015

Review - When I'm Gone by Abbi Glines





WHEN I’M GONE by Abbi Glines

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Abbi Glines comes the next new adult novel in the Rosemary Beach series, in which we meet Mase, a Texas heartthrob first introduced in Take a Chance who comes to Rosemary Beach to stir things up.

I had an urge to fix all her problems. Which was stupid. She was doing fine without me. But something about those big eyes…

Mase Colt-Manning has always preferred his humble life as a Texas rancher to his birthright as the son of a legendary rock star. In fact, he rarely visits his father’s rarefied world in Rosemary Beach, especially if it means bunking at his vile half-sister Nan’s house—until one visit leads to a chance encounter with a young, gorgeous house maid who awakens him with her off-key but spirited imitation of a country music star…

Reese Ellis finally has her freedom. After escaping a lifetime of abuse from her parents and classmates for an undiagnosed learning disorder, she seizes the opportunity to be a house maid to some of the richest families in Rosemary Beach. But her job is in jeopardy when she causes an accident at the home of her most important client, Nan Dillon. When a hot, half-naked stranger with a cowboy’s swagger comes to her rescue, she’s intrigued—then afraid once he shows his own interest. Reese has never met a trustworthy man in her life. Will Mase be any different?

 About the Author:
 

Abbi Glines is the New York Times, USA TODAY, and Wall Street Journal bestselling author of the Rosemary Beach, Field Party, Sea Breeze, Vincent Boys, and Existence series. A devoted book lover, Abbi lives with her family in Alabama. She maintains a Twitter addiction at @AbbiGlines and can also be found at Facebook.com/AbbiGlinesAuthor and AbbiGlines.com.


Find Abbi Online
Twitter: @AbbiGlines
Instagram: @AbbiGlines

Paperback Links

eBook Links

WHEN I’M GONE by Abbi Glines
Atria Books | Paperback | On-Sale: 04/07/15 | 272 pages
Paperback ISBN: 9781476776095, $15.00 | eBook ISBN: 9781476776101, $7.99 Audio ISBN: 9781442376670, $17.99


Enter the giveaway!
Visit the Rosemary Beach Club to enter to win either a grand prize of Abbi’s Favorite Things + the entire Rosemary Beach Series from Atria Books or one of the runner up prizes of one of four signed copies of ONE MORE CHANCE.

My 5 Star Review

First you should know one thing about me, I am a huge Abbi Glines fan. I absolutely love her books and these characters, at this point I feel like I know these characters. Every book I read I fall more in love with them.

When I’m Gone is Mason’s story. Mason is Harlow and Nan’s brother, but he didn’t grow up in the limelight. He grew up in Texas with his mother. However, he is very close to his sister Harlow. He is in town staying at Nan’s house, visiting Harlow when he meets Reese.



Reese moved to Rosemary Beach to escape her abusive past. So she is new in town, has no family or friends and is working as a housekeeper. She is cleaning Nan’s house when she is interrupted by Mason. Surprised by Mason’s arrival she is injures herself. 
I let him help me, because I was sure it was the last I’d see this man. He didn’t realize it, but he’d given me hope. And he’d shown me that not all men were evil. 


Reese isn’t your typical heroine. In my opinion, she is one of the most complex characters Abbi has introduced. Reese is a beautiful girl and while most people wouldn’t see that as a flaw, but it led to years of abuse for her. Up until the point she escaped her mother’s home she was sexually abused by her stepfather, so she doesn’t trust easily. As if that isn’t bad enough she is dyslexic and while that is something that can definitely be overcome no one ever worked with her, instead they brushed it off and called her names. For years, Reese has believed she is intellectually challenged. She doesn’t understand she has a learning disability and needs help. 



Mason is completely charming and definitely a white knight. He is seriously so fantastic, I loved Mason! A lot of characters have some issues, but I can’t find one in Mason. He is completely protective, but gentle with Reese. He is absolutely what Reese needs. My favorite thing is once he falls, he falls. It didn’t matter if Reese was interested he was invested in helping her regardless.
“Mase Colt Manning fights for those he loves. It’s what he does. And I know he tried to fight for you. He wanted to conquer your battles.” 


Reese completely broke and stole my heart. She has overcome so many things and is such a strong character. Most people would have given up after experiencing the things Reese lived through, but she is a survivor. She wanted to overcome her dyslexia and all her other issues, she wanted to move on from her negative past. A lot of people blame others for their short comings and it would be completely understandable given the things she lived through. But Reese doesn’t want to place blame she wants to overcome. Her strength and determination was inspiring.



The connection between Reese and Mason was lovely, real and beautiful. I absolutely loved their moments together. I love how this wasn’t a case of insta-love, but the two of them actually got to know each other. As I said I love Abbi’s writing, but this story just felt like more to me. I highly recommend this story if you are a fan of the Rosemary Beach Series. As I said I am huge Abbi fan, so if you have not read this series, I obviously highly recommend it!
There was a worshipful look on his face that made me feel cherished. Important, Protected. 



ARC kindly provided in exchange for an honest review. 

No comments

Post a Comment