May 14, 2015

Review - Black Rainbow by J.J. McAvoy

BlackRainbowTour

Black Rainbow by J.J. McAvoy 
Publication Date: May 15, 2015 

BlackRainbow

Buy: Amazon - Nook - Kobo - iBooks

Synopsis: A sweet and steamy New Adult Romance from Amazon bestselling author of the Ruthless People series, J.J. McAvoy…
After an erotic one-week fling with a musician she meets in a bar, Thea Cunning never expects to see Levi Black again. Then Monday morning comes around, and she discovers that her former lover is not only her professor, but he’s also one of the top criminal lawyers in the state of Massachusetts. With everyone in class vying to be one of the twelve disciples—a group of twelve students that Professor Black takes under his wing—tensions run high. Thea considers dropping his class, given their passionate week together and their undeniable chemistry. After all, there are other (less infuriatingly sexy) law professors on campus. But to accomplish her goal and get her father out of prison, Thea knows she needs to learn under the best of the best—and that’s Levi Black. But can she learn under the best, without being under the best?

Add to Goodreads

My 5 Star Review

Since I read Ruthless People I have been in love with JJ's writing. It's extreme, bold, intense, and I love that in a writer. So when I saw she had released a new book I didn’t even see what it was about I just signed up. So imagine my surprise when I learned it was a story of forbidden love, my favorite!

I am Levi Black and my record was spotless; I didn’t mess around with students, I didn’t lose cases…


Levi and Thea meet in a typical fashion, but from there nothing is typical or normal. After meeting in the bar, they head home and have the best sex of their lives. They decide one night will never be enough, but why not one week. It works out perfectly since Levi is on vacation for the week and Thea doesn’t start school until next Monday. 

Throughout this week they spend most of their time together, just trying quench that desire that continues to burn so bright. They learn so much about each other, but never really scratch the surface of who they really are. 


When Thea shows up in Levi’s law class they quickly learn they don’t really know anything about each other. Thea knew Levi was a lawyer, but they never discussed that he taught one law class, which just so happens to be the one she is a student in. They decide they can be adults about this and move on, after all it was only supposed to be one week regardless. 

The story is told in dual POV, my favorite. I love getting to see both POV and understand both individuals motives. From there the story also alternates from past to present in chapters. I loved seeing their week together and see how things were progressing in present time. This allowed for the reader to understand the significance of their encounters and time together. 

When I say I want you, I mean I need you. I need to run my fingers over your skin, kiss down your back, and make you moan my name. I. Need. You. 


Despite their agreement for things to only be one week and the present issue of student/teacher it is next to impossible to fight their connection. Forbidden love, student/teacher, is one of my favorite storylines because it has built in angst. I love the sneaking around and waiting to see if they will be caught. 

Thea is one of my favorite characters. She is real and flawed, but her flaws just made me love her more. She is a survivor and doesn’t make excuses for her past, she also doesn’t use her past to leverage her future. Levi is just a man, but he wants to desperately to do right by Thea. He wants to be worthy of her, to help her, to earn her. Their connection is beautiful and had me completely forgetting about their issues.


Black Rainbow has romance and steam obviously, but I liked the mystery and suspense. After reading JJ’s other series, I honestly didn’t know where everyone stood. I was on the edge of my seat waiting to see how things would play out. I really enjoyed watching the story evolve and seeing how everything fit together. 

I read this one blind because I am fan of JJ and Black Rainbowjust proves what a great writer she is. She writes stories that are unique, fresh, relevant, and raw. I love how we got forbidden love, suspense, steam, and a large age gap between characters. This story is literally a perfect storm for me. 


ARC kindly provided in exchange for an honest review. 

About J.J. McAvoy

JJ McAvoy

J. J. McAvoy first started working on Ruthless People during a Morality and Ethics lecture her freshman year of college. X number of years later, she is an insomniac who has changed her major three times, and is a master in the art of procrastination. If you ask her why she began writing, she will simply tell you “They wanted to get their story out.”
She is currently working on her next novel . . . so please bug her on Twitter @JJMcAvoy



Excerpt


All too soon, class was over, and as people left, I found myself unable to move. There was so much that I wanted to say to him.
I stood up, taking a deep breath and hoping to stir up the courage to speak to him, when all of sudden, he walked right past me as if I wasn’t there.
“Levi—”
“It’s Professor Black, and class is over. If you wish to speak to me any time after class you’ll have to call the office and make an appointment. Good day, Ms. Cunning,” he replied, already out the door.
“Asshole,” I murmured under my breath.
But what did I expect? Were we just supposed to laugh it off and pretend like nothing had happened and that everything was okay?”

No comments

Post a Comment