January 25, 2016

Review - Over the Hills and Far Away by Kelli Jean

Over the Hills and Far Away spans six years and while that may seem long or daunting, it was the opposite. Kenna first lays eyes on Phil on her eighteenth birthday at a music festival. She is obviously attracted to him, but is mostly drawn to his incredible musical abilities. She loves the way his music makes her feel. 

As time goes on Phil and Kenna’s path continually cross, but they never connect. I am not really sure that’s the best way to describe it, because they have this insane connection. But their connection is so much deeper than time spent together, they are drawn to each other. This isn’t what you expect in most books today, mainly because as I am describing this it probably sounds like insta-love and it’s not. The connection that Phil and Kenna have is so deep, like they can feel each other’s souls. I hope I am describing this correctly, but the most important thing is knowing that their connection felt so incredible and real. 


As I said the story spans a long time and so much happens. Phil’s band becomes famous and tours around the world. Kenna lives the life of a regular girl. She finishes schools, dates and experiences great losses. I loved that Kenna and Phil had this connection, but they both continued to live their lives and have experiences. 

My favorite part was when they did reconnect because there is nothing like Phil. Phil is a little crazy, he is so passionate and that passion spills over in all aspects of his life. That can be a fantastic thing, but it can also lead to fights and issues. Phil being this crazy emotional, passionate, loving guy was awesome and him being imperfect made me love him more. 


Kenna is strong, independent and genuine. This is one of those stories where I actually liked both characters, neither bothered me. Kenna isn’t perfect either, but she is also sensible and relatable. I loved the bond she had with her friends and family. She didn't grow up in the typical home, but knew love and how to give love.

Kelli’s writing is so unique and I immediately fell into this world she created. This is the first book in the trilogy and I can’t wait to see what happens next for Phil, Kenna and the rest of the gang. 


ARC kindly provided in exchange for an honest review. 



No comments

Post a Comment