February 4, 2016

Mother Before Wife by Melissa Brown

This book. This freaking book kept me up all night! It’s not because I was up late reading it, no I finished it around 11:00 pm. The reason it kept me up was because once I finished it I couldn’t stop thinking about it. My heart was racing and I was way too revved up to go to sleep.

I wasn’t sure what to expect with Mother Before Wife the title alone is contradictory to their beliefs. See Aspen is mormon and living in a polygamous compound. When the story begins she is being reassigned to Paul Black and will be his fourteenth wife. 


Aspen’s life isn’t exactly how she pictured or planned it, there are some new struggles. Her new husband is actually physically attracted to her and desires to please her, but she is still the fourteenth wife. All of her teachings go against the desires she and Paul feel. So when I started this book I immediately thought it was a love story and I had no idea how it would work out. 

Little did I know that this story was going to be so much more. This isn’t a love story or maybe it will be, I don’t know. I just know that Aspen is one of the most badass characters I have ever read. I absolutely love her. I think she is a rockstar. I admire her strength, fight and heart. 


I feel like I have to tell you I don’t love suspense books, I am a romance reader, but this book is one of my favoritest this year. Melissa Brown beautifully delivered a story with so my heart and characters with so much grit that I just couldn’t put it down or forget about it. 

I absolutely cannot recommend this book enough, I loved it. It does end in a cliffhanger, but don’t let it deter you. Aspen’s story isn’t something you can easily forget. 


There was one thing I knew. I would never be his puppet. Never. 



ARC kindly provided in exchange for an honest review. 

No comments

Post a Comment