February 1, 2016

Review - Chasing Spring by RS Grey

Title: Chasing Spring
Author: R.S. Grey
Release Date: Feb 1, 2016
Find on Goodreads
I thought I’d left Blackwater, Texas behind for good. I didn’t belong in the small town, but my dad wouldn’t listen. He dragged me back home in his beat-up truck and dropped a bomb along the way: Chase Matthews was moving in with us. He was the golden boy of my high school, my former best friend, and the last person I wanted sleeping across the hall. His presence was too great a reminder of the ghosts I was trying to forget.
I didn’t ask for a hero. I don’t want to be saved.
To me, Lilah Calloway meant late nights sneakin’ out, moonlit hair, and sparklers in July. She was my best friend until the day she left and I’d assumed Blackwater had seen the last of her. Then, like a tempest, she rolled back into town for the final half of senior year. The chopped hair and dark devil-may-care attitude warned most people away, but I knew if I fought hard enough, I could find the lost girl.
I didn’t want to be her hero. Some girls don’t need to be saved.


my five star review


It isn’t a secret that Chasing Spring wouldn’t be your typical R.S. Grey book. It wouldn’t have her signature humor, lightness and sexiness, but you should still read it! I love her other books, like 5 star love, but this book is more to me. I don’t know Rachel personally or even a little bit, but I am always impressed when an author is brave enough to go against the grain and write what they feel. I only say this to say, I highly recommend you giving this book a chance, too. 

"Yeah well, this is life. Not everyone gets a happy ending.”


Lilah is moving back to town after being away for the past year and half. She isn’t ready to go back to the small town of Texas, full of nosey and gossiping neighbors. She isn’t ready to face her classmates, but most importantly her childhood best friend, the golden boy. 



Chase may be the golden boy, but his life is anything but golden now. He is actually having to move in with Lilah because of his dad’s drinking problem. Lilah’s dad is Chase’s baseball coach and as you quickly learn Lilah and Chase have been in each other’s lives since they were babies. 



This story is so unique, because as you are reading and understanding Chase and Lilah’s futures you are also seeing a glimpses of the past. The glimpse of the past are of two little girls, you watch them grow up. Please understand this isn’t two books and the scenes from the past are just brief moments. Regardless, these scenes really tied the the whole story together. These moments broke my heart. Seeing history repeat itself and fearing it would win again. Through these moments I could fell Lilah’s grief and fear as if it were my own. 

I cannot begin to tell you how impressed I am with Rachel. This story is just something, the feelings I felt were overwhelming. The heartache, sorrow and empathy, I wanted more and more for these two. I don’t even mean in a romantic aspect, I just wanted happiness and peace for them period. I loved how the story unfolded to bring everything out in the open and I freaking loved how Rachel used the gardening and spring. I will always think of Lilah when I think of dirty and gardening. 



As I said this story is new and different for Grey. It blows my mind to know that she has been sitting on this one for years. I absolutely loved Chasing Spring, it’s full of heart and constantly made me think and feel for the characters. I definitely recommend!

"Does the ending even matter? Shouldn’t the middle be the happy part? It’s the biggest chunk of our life and yet no one ever asks if the two people had a happy middle." 


ARC kindly provided in exchange for an honest review. 
I am a lover of books, chocolate, reality TV, black labs, and cold weather. Seriously, if I had it my way, I would be curled up on the couch with all of those things... everyday.
I live in Texas where I spend my free time writing and reading. My favorite authors include Mindy Kaling & Jonathan Safran Foer. I'm a comedy geek and love all things "funny". Women like Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Mindy Kaling are definitely the biggest inspirations for my writing, though I think my work tends to skew a bit smuttier than theirs.

No comments

Post a Comment