November 1, 2016

Review - Beard Science by Penny Reid

bstour2

Beard Science

by Penny Reid 
Winston Brothers #3 
Publication Date: October 11, 2016 
Genres: Adult, Contemporary, Humor, Romance 

  beardscience


Make a deal with the devil and you might get what you want, but will it be what you need? Jennifer Sylvester wants one thing, and that one thing is NOT to be Tennessee’s reigning Banana Cake Queen. Ever the perpetual good girl and obedient daughter, Jennifer is buckling under the weight of her social media celebrity, her mother’s ambitions, and her father’s puritanical mandates. Jennifer is officially desperate. And desperate times call for Cletus Winston. Cletus Winston is a puzzle wrapped in a mystery covered in conundrum sauce, and now he’s in a pickle. Despite being convinced of his own omniscience, extortion by the exalted Banana Cake Queen of Green Valley has taken him completely by surprise. So… what’s a maniacal mastermind to do? Likely, the last thing you expect. ‘Beard Science’ is the third book in the Winston Brothers series, is a full-length romantic comedy novel, and can be read as a standalone.
goodreads-badge-add-38px

My 5 Star Review 

I think there is something so incredibly special about Penny Reid’s writing if you have never read one of her books you must! This series set in the mountains of Tennessee is a favorite for me. The Winston family is just as unique and special as Penny herself.

Beard Science is Cletus’s story and from the moment we entered his head I was hooked. Cletus is a sneaky mastermind, a man who observes everyone and silently gets revenge, but he isn’t evil. Cletus is the opposite he fights for what’s right. He is eccentric and different, but I was intrigued by him and loved being in his head. He isn’t what I expected, he is so much deeper, and definitely my favorite Winston.

Jennifer is the Banana Cake Queen, pretty much a joke to her town. Don’t get me wrong, she is famous and has over a million followers on social media. However, in her small town, she is a joke to everyone else. Everyone knows her mother and father control her every move, even her clothing choices. Despite her huge success and recognition, she longs for more, she wants a family. She wants someone to look after and take care of and that right there made me love her sweet, kind heart.

Jennifer is an observer too and she knows if anyone could help her, it’s Cletus. She enlists him to help her find a mate, but what he really does is help her become the woman she wants to be. Cletus and Jenn start out as friends I guess you could say, but the more time they spend together the more their feelings begin to change. Cletus and the Winston family empower Jenn to stand up to her parents and begin making choices for herself. 

Science Beard has a slow build that kept me hooked and excited for what was coming next. It also had humor, that made me laugh out loud and lots of heart. This story made me fall even more in love with the Winstons and wish they existed in real life. This family, this series, it’s everything. You must read this series if you haven’t started!

About Penny Reid


 SEX! It all started with sex, between my parents. Personally I don’t like thinking about it, but whatever works for you is a-ok with me. No judgment. The sex happened in California and much of my life also occurred in that state until I moved from the land of nuts (almonds), wine, silicon… boobs, and heavy traffic to the southeast US. Like most writers I like to write, but let’s get back to sex. Eventually I married and gave birth to 2 small people-children (boy-6, girl-4 as of this writing). By day I’m a biomedical researcher with focus on rare diseases. By night I’m a knitter, sewer, lino block carver, fabric printer, soap maker, and general crafter. By the wee hours of the morning or when I’m intoxicated I love to listen to the voices in my head and let them tell me stories. I hope you enjoy their stories.


IndieSageBlogger

No comments

Post a Comment